Saturday, February 5, 2011

Chapter 23, Fall 2004 Learning Yoga

Chapter 23, Fall 2004 Learning Yoga

My younger sister Angie has been doing Yoga for about a year. The results from this are; nicely defined shoulder and triceps muscles, the triceps are the muscles in the back of the upper arm, you know, the ones that have the ability to swing back and forth as you're waving at someone. Her core in tighter and stronger, giving her abdominal muscles more definition, which she swore she'd never get back after having an almost 10 lb baby, and a calm, relaxed disposition, also not easy to maintain in type her "A" household. Yoga, to Angie has become a new way of life. The deep breathing practiced in class helps relax and center her. She leaves her Yoga sessions feeling positive about life and completely peaceful, not to mention worked out. All of these uplifting results have prompted Angie to seek out a teaching certification to pursue this practice as a career. Once she accomplishes that, I too decide to get certified to teach.
There are many different types of Yoga being practiced around the world, from Restorative which concentrates on relaxation to Spiritual or Metaphysical connecting one to a higher level of consciousness and of course physical Yoga, which tones the body in unison with breath work. Hatha Yoga is the form that Angie practices; this combines a physical type of Yoga with deep breathing and relaxation. The certification she desires is offered through YogaFit, which you are more than likely to find taught in a health club rather than a Yoga Centre. To teach a level I class in this certification a 20 hour weekend seminar must be attended. Learning poses, alignment, Yoga philosophy, and proper breathing are all part of the weekend.
A YogaFit certification costs around $400.00 which would be covered by the scholarship I received the previous spring. Twenty hours was conceivable to me. Plus, I wanted to teach and learn a physical type of Yoga. This continuing education experience also boasts meditative techniques through relaxed breathing at the start and finish of each class. Deep breathing helps relieve stress which has become necessary for me in dealing with a terminal illness. And that, in my mind, is going to contribute to my ability to stay on this earth longer.
The classes are held at Kent State, a college about an hour away from me. This was my first experience going away, alone, for the weekend since my diagnosis. Apprehension stayed with me for most of the trip. My anxiety subsided as soon as I saw the beautiful, new fitness center at the college. There was a large gym littered with basketball hoops, surrounded by a running track on the second floor, several doors flanked the outside of the track housing individual group exercise rooms, it was pleasing to my eyes. Cardio and strength training equipment made neat long rows on the first floor completed by a healthy food bar. I immediately felt at home where my good friend exercise hangs out.
It may sound silly to say that exercise is a friend, but it is true. When you're down it picks you up, if you are sad it makes you happy, it relieves your frustration and takes your focus away from something negative to something positive. Exercise brings in more oxygen which is good for all of your bodily systems. When I use physical activity in moderation it makes me strong mentally. There is no down side to moderate exercise.
The learning experience was optimistic. People who are interested in Yoga are not only in touch with their compassionate side, they want to help individuals better their lives through this practice. Ten hour days went by quickly and my energy level kept pace with other participants. We were released at 6:00 pm, I checked into my hotel, ate dinner, which I packed and brought with, studied for the next day and fell into bed.
Our second and final day was tiring, but invigorating as well. At the end of the day we shared our appreciation for this wonderful weekend of new knowledge. The journey home was full of thoughts of how I would teach this exercise to help others and my health simultaneously. The last requirement of my certification is to teach eight one hour sessions at no cost to participants. This process in part, brings Yoga to the masses. People are more willing to try something new when it is free and it gives the instructor time to perfect their teaching skills.
Just teaching the classes helped me learn to relax and breathe deeper. Most people do not use their full lung capacity. We generally breathe shallow breaths, especially when we are stressed out. Breathing slowly and deeply helps one utilize the lungs to the potential their meant to be used. It also helps calm your nerves and slow down your mind. People don't slow down enough in this crazy world we live in. Stress is a factor in many lives and it needs to be dealt with. The negative side effects of stress can affect the body in harmful ways through illness and disease. Relaxation needs to be part of everyday life for a healthier future.
In my Yoga practice I have begun to add positive visualization during the relaxation portion of the session. Picture something that you want in your life. See yourself living that life. For me it was and still is picturing myself living healthy and well. I also ask students to visualize negative energy leaving the body on an exhale and positive energy coming in on an inhale. This is a tool to use toward my own good health. Yoga has been an uplifting move for me in my life's voyage.

Advice
Try Yoga! The Cleveland Clinic offers it and other holistic classes for free at The Gathering Place for its patients. Check your hospital or clinic for information about free classes. You will not be sorry. They have educated instructors who will keep your fitness level in mind. Yoga is all about balance and moving at your own individual pace.
Share your gift. Helping other people become positive and uplifted through exercise has lifted me up as well. What are your positive gifts? No good deed goes undone.

No comments:

Post a Comment