Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Chapter 20, My Graduation, May 2004

Chapter 20, My Graduation, May 2004
Today I am graduating with an Associates of Applied Science degree from Lorain County Community College. When I first went back to school I wanted to get a Bachelor's degree to teach Physical Education. After I got sick, I wasn't sure that I'd have time to get the four year degree I desired, opting for a two year in Sports and Fitness Management. This education will still give me an opportunity to work with people of varied ages, improving their lives through exercise.
The past year, especially partaking in exercise classes through the Fall Semester while I was receiving treatment, was a challenge. In retrospect, the hard time I went through was well worth it. The insight I gained, made me realize that I could handle chemo much better if I stayed active. Remember, originally through my first chemo I didn't think I could handle physical activity, but because I had no choice in this instance, it was do or don't graduate, I forced myself through the exhaustion and came out a better, stronger person in the end.
There were a few days where I lost my head due to fatigue. Each type of exercise you teach requires not only an education, but a certification. We had weekend training for a Group Fitness certification through Aerobics and Fitness Association of America. The two day training lasted 8 to 10 hours both Saturday and Sunday. Some of it was academic, but most of it was physical. I was exhausted and Mike was out of town. I picked the girls up after class for a fast food, drive through dinner. Upon ordering I realized I didn't have enough money with me so I asked them if I could borrow a few bucks until we got home. They rolled their eyes at me with a frustrated exhalation. This behavior sent me into a screaming rant, the girls' eyes got so big as they held their breath and jerked their heads back in surprise. The drive thru employees must have heard the entire angry outburst because they were very timid and quiet when handing me the food. Mother of the year wasn't an award I'd get that day. We all got over it, the girls and I apologized to one another leaving us to have a peaceful, relaxed evening.
Mom and Dad traveled from Minnesota for the commencement and the party following. A few days prior to the graduation there was a scholarship ceremony where graduates were awarded monies toward continuing education for particular achievements. My scholarship was through the Cheri Szuc's Foundation. Cheri graduated from the same program as me, a month after her graduation she was killed by a drunk driver. The college set up a foundation in her honor. They also invite her parents to the yearly award ceremony. Between conversations with her parents about Cheri's death and exemplary life, the talk quickly turned emotional and heartfelt. Every situation I encounter these days carries with it so much meaning because I'm not sure how many more I'll have. Mom and Dad felt privileged to be in attendance and I was happy to have them along with Mike and the girls. A memory I hope my kids will cherish.
On graduation day, our celebration consisted of Mike's Father, Mother and her friend Chuck, our closest neighbors and a few friends. The party was lovely. The food was great! Charlotte, Mike's Mom is always ready to help prepare food and she is a great cook. My Mom worked by my side all morning preparing a delicious fare of wonderful tastes. There were cocktails and stories and laughter and great appreciation of the time we had to spend together.
Advice
Don't be afraid to exercise when you are going through chemo. Gage your activity level by what you were used to doing prior to treatment. If it was nothing, start out with light walking.
Challenge yourself, not by overdoing it; go a little bit beyond what you think you can do. Be cautious; always talk to your physician for advice.
If you, a family member or friend act inappropriately out of frustration from your situation, clear it up as soon as possible. Everyone should understand that tense times can result in difficult conditions.
Recognize and celebrate every single accomplishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment