Sunday, January 23, 2011

Chapter 13 The Greywitt's Arrive, The Last Visitors of the Summer

Chapter 13 The Greywitts's Arrive, the Last Visitors of the Summer


Angie and I, out of all my siblings, lead the most similar lives. We both married over achievers with a little perfectionist on the side. They can be somewhat obsessive about things like the yard, cars, shoveling, the house, you name it, whatever it is, it has done just right. Because of this, there is a bit of yelling that goes on around our homes, wanting things done in a particular way creates a lot of work and sometimes, tension. Angie and I share a similar sense of humor, we are amused by the same type of antics, we are more comfortable with organization than we are with disarray, we love to laugh and we like to be in shape, she is a runner and I like strength conditioning. The Greywitt family is made up of all boys, two are Angie's biological sons and two are her step sons. Their boys are handsome with an extremely quick wit, as well as amusing. Alex, Katie and Frankie love interacting with them, whether it be laughing, playing or fighting. When we go to Minnesota for a visit, the excitement is palpable but after a few days they start to fight, just like siblings.

Angie was willing to take charge the moment she stepped in the door, but they had just made a twelve hour trip and were tired. We hugged, cried, relaxed, visited during a nice dinner, and then she got to work cleaning up the kitchen with Mike and Rico. The next day, there was laundry to be done, breakfast, lunch and dinner to be made, dishes to be washed and she tried to do it all. Her husband Rico is not one to let any grass grow under his feet so he was also busy doing whatever he could to help. The kids were satisfied to be entertained by Michael, Rico's youngest son from his first, marriage who is an exact replica of Jim Kerry, he looks a little like him and can copy his jokes and mannerisms to hysterical perfection. Sean and Charlie, Angie's youngest sons join in on the joking until the house is roaring with laughter. Laughter is such a beautiful gift at this time, it makes your troubles disappear for the moment. This is a time to be grateful and cherish.

I was due to have my third chemo treatment during Angie's visit. Accompanying me to the clinic was not an easy feat for her because she is uncomfortable with hospitals, clinics, any type of medical facility or procedure. Angie faints at the drop of the hat. She takes a look at a cut or blood and she hits the floor faster than I can eat a meal when I'm starved. There are a number of stories I could tell about Angie fainting at a Dr. visit, but one in particular, she went to the hospital when her step son Ricky crashed on his bike, he did some major damage to his nose and mouth, he was bleeding and in rough shape. She apprehensively walked into the exam room with Rico and Ricky, the Dr. arrived said a few words, started looking at the damage done to Ricky's face and Angie went down before the words, "I'm going to faint, " finished coming out. She is a trooper for trying.
I went in to get my blood drawn before chemo and to get my port accessed. They draw your blood prior to chemo to make sure that your counts are high enough to be able to have the drug administered. The Technician sticks a needle into your port, it's like an IV, but much easier than trying to find a vein, and tapes it up so it will stay during chemo. When Angie witnessed this she got a little queasy and couldn't look at it, but she didn't faint. We had a good day at chemo. When we arrived home everyone pitched in to make dinner while I rested. After dinner we retired to the family room for a movie and then we all went to bed.

It is Wednesday, another healing mass awaits me. Angie is a spiritual person and she attends a non denominational church so she has an open mind about God and healings, etc., she just isn't a Catholic any longer. The two of us ventured out for my fourth and last healing from the Sister Monica. We sat behind an elderly woman who had a severe gas problem. Every two minutes she farted loud and clear. This made it quite difficult to concentrate at the task at hand, improving my health. First it was, "Oh, the poor lady," then it was, rolling eyes with an, I can't take this look, then it was, " Oh my God it stinks in here," until finally it became hands over the face in prayer position dropped head, muffled laughter. It reminded me of what it was like going to mass with my siblings. There would be anywhere from eight to twelve of us sitting in a pew and someone would do something to make us all giggle. We could barely contain our laughter and then one of us would bust out and unfortunately get the attention of other parishioners as well as our parents, and get in trouble. We were always in trouble at mass.

Needless to say, I didn't get much out of the last healing, other than joyous camaraderie with my little sister, as I've called her all my life. I refer back to the little Irishman, who said that you really have to believe that each healing will help you and you have to take it seriously, as well as come often. I don't think I was in the right frame of mind going into the last three healings. I believe that becoming well takes a certain mind set. You truly have to focus in on what you want and need, and you have to believe it can happen for you. Sitting next to a farting machine is a bit distracting, at least for me. I've decided to stop going to the healing. I might return someday when I have more faith.

Angie and her family left today. We were sad to see them go, but the summer will be over soon and it is time for the kids to get ready to go back to school. Our lives need to get back to a normal, steady pace.

Advice
Enjoy your relationships one at a time If you have many family members or friends. Have them spread their visits out. Spend one on one meaningful time with them when you feel up to it. Don't have people come over when you are not well, if it's too taxing on you.
If you have extended stay visitors, let them help you, that is why they are there. Don't feel guilty about lying down when you've had too much.
Laugh, Laugh, Laugh! Laughter is extremely healing do it as often as you can. Find the humor in life cause there is so much of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment